Here we reflect on the top seven research reports, thought leading articles, and videos that members of the NBS community spent the most time reviewing on our website. 2015 marked the year accountants not only entered the conversation, but also led sustainability initiatives in their organizations. Industry associations, like the Railway Association of Canada, took charge of strategic planning to help each and every company in their industry achieve sustainability. Carbon pricing made tremendous strides in government and in business.
There is still much work to do. We encourage you to continue integrating NBS research and tools into your strategic plans, your presentations, and use them to continue improving the sustainability of your operations.
1. Putting Climate Change on the Books
Learn how accountants at TransLink, Metro Vancouver's transportation authority, help the organization adapt to climate change.
2. Sustainability in Canada's Railway Sector
Railways are part of Canada's identity. Learn how the Railway Association of Canada reached out to Canadians for input on its sustainability strategy.
3. Cap-and-Trade or Carbon Tax?
Experts from EcoFiscal outline differences, similarities, and business implications for the carbon tax and the cap-and-trade system?
4. Lead with a Shared Vision
Managers and business leaders alike rely heavily on estimates, forecasts, and trends for strategic planning. But predictive approaches often fall short.
Use this report to:
- Select a suitable strategic planning approach
- Integrate non-traditional stakeholders
- Identify ways to bridge institutional voids
- Create synergy between corporate and public sector plans
5. Future Thinking
In 2016, will you act for short-term results or plan for the long-term? Research provides guidance on how businesses can incorporate long-term thinking.
This report includes:
- A three-step process to balance of short and long-term actions
- Case studies showing how companies balance short and long term
- Common obstacles to long-term action and ways to overcome them
6. Climate Change Finance Frontiers
For accountants at Frontiers North Adventures (FNA), working with sea ice modellers, polar bear experts, and scientists is all in a day's work.
Discover how FNA's team is accounting for and adapting to climate change.
7. Pay Inequality Among Social Entrepreneurs?
A gender gap in pay exists even when women set their own pay as social entrepreneurs. New research identifies why women settle for less and how social enterprises can fulfill their promise.