Business Sustainability Collaborative
The Business Sustainability Collaborative is led by the BSC Director, Jessica Thomas and BSC Faculty Director, Rosanna Garcia. BSC works with a team of BSC Associates who are committed, exceptional graduate and undergraduate Poole College students. The BSC Associates work collaboratively to advance the Collaborative’s strategic priorities, to identify new programs and activities and to serve as student representatives of the Collaborative. BSC also works with the BSC Faculty Advisory Committee, composed of committed faculty representatives from each of the Poole College departments. The Committee advises the BSC on curriculum development, research and faculty engagement. Funding to support the BSC initiatives comes primarily from an endowment established by a major gift from Lonnie C. Poole Jr., founder of Waste Industries.
The Business Sustainability Collaborative is an academic initiative that connects students, faculty, and the business community through experiential learning, career development, academic and applied research, and partnership opportunities. We develop leaders who can apply research, technology, and critical thinking to drive and measure sustainable business practices. The Collaborative works with faculty to integrate environmental, social and financial responsibility across the curriculum of the Poole College of Management. We engage industry to advance and share innovative sustainability practices that lead to positive business results.
The Collaborative’s main activities include, but are not limited to:
- Curriculum Development and Research – We support faculty across departments who are integrating sustainability into the curriculum and leading collaborative, cutting edge research across disciplines.
- B Corp Clinic – We bring together students from NC State University, UNC Chapel, Duke University and the SKEMA Business School to engage in real-world projects with aspiring B Corporations
to help them improve their environmental and social impact.
- B Corp Champions Challenge – We provide resources for students are creating news ventures focused on using the power of business to solve social and environmental challenges.
- NC Sustainability Connection – We showcase North Carolina as a leader in sustainability, sharing stories of innovation and impact from all corners of our state.
- Student Leadership Program – We work with a team of committed, exceptional graduate and undergraduate BSC Associates to advance the Collaborative’s strategic priorities.
- Net Impact Chapter – We collaborate closely with our NC State undergraduate or graduate Net Impact chapter, both of which have been recognized as leading student chapters working for a sustainable future.
- BSC Conversations – We bring to campus thought leaders in business sustainability to join our students, faculty, staff and business community in conversations about how to transform the way that business operates.
- Impact Careers – We work with our Career Management Center to connect our undergraduate and graduate students with impactful internship experiences and careers.