Center for Business and the Environment – Yale
The Yale Center for Business and the Environment (CBEY) provides a platform for generating, incubating and launching new connections, approaches, courses, areas for research and other initiatives at the intersection of business and the environment primarily for the benefit of students and to help us sustain and restore the critical resources on which we all rely. These include the human and natural systems that provide the energy, water, food, land, materials and wide range of other goods and services that we use. To reach this goal, CBEY needs to be nimble and innovative as markets and consumer/student interests evolve. It also needs to connect ever more effectively with a wide range of actors both across Yale (students, faculty, staff) and in the wider world (alums, companies, NGOs, governments).
The center joins the strengths of two world-renowned graduate schools—the Yale School of Management and the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies —together with a network of internal and external thought leaders at the business-environment interface. Professors, students, alumni, guest scholars, and affiliates of each school contribute to the center’s mission through an integrated set of activities that address business approaches to the world’s most significant environmental issues. Our work spans perspectives in finance, innovation, marketing, operations, and strategy on issues involving energy, water, carbon, forests, environmental health and safety, development, and policy.
The center’s activities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing support for the three-year joint M.B.A.-Environment degree program and advancing joint programs between the School of Forestry & Environmental Studies, and the School of Management.
- Organizing an annual conservation finance camp for conservation professionals.
- Hosting speaker series and seminars on leadership in sustainability, sustainability marketing ecosystem services, energy efficiency and environmental economics.
- Coordinating research fellowships and internships in corporate environmental management and strategy, renewable energy finance and community-based marketing.
- Developing case studies, new courses and research publications.
- Sponsoring speaker series, workshops, grants and prizes to support environmental entrepreneurship.
Activities in each of these areas bring together students, faculty, staff, policy experts and practitioners from a wide range of institutions around the world.