Center for Research in Organization and Management
CROMA was founded to be a reference point for cutting-edge, multi-disciplinary and collaborative research in organization and management. In addition to seeking research breakthroughs, it is organized to provide corporate managers with novel concepts, proven analytical tools and new perspectives to transform the challenges of an increasingly globalized economic and social context into sustainable growth opportunities.
The centre aims to conduct large-scale, collaborative and multi-disciplinary research focused on a small set of fundamental managerial issues, with the explicit objective to influence in a significant way both the academic debate and management practice.
The areas of expertise and interest of CROMA researchers span across several divisions of the Academy of Management as well as operations research. The most important ones are:
- Competitive and corporate strategy
- Organization theory and design
- International management
- Operations and innovation management
At the same time, CROMA researchers are committed to engage in collaborative research focused on cross-disciplinary themes which address fundamental managerial issues.
The core of CROMA’s activities consists of a small set of large-scale, international, collaborative and multi-disciplinary research programs selected, with the explicit objective to influence in a significant way both the academic debate and management practice. The themes emerged as central to the research interests and competencies are:
- The micro-foundations of strategic decision-making and organizational behaviour, including the cognitive, emotional and identity traits of individuals
- The macro-foundations of organizations: the role of business in society, sustainable development and firm vs. institutional governance
- The development of creative insight, related to the founding of novel ventures as well as the generation of innovative ideas and of strategically relevant intuitions
- The management of organizational knowledge, the enhancement of learning processes and the development of human capital
- The management of relationships and networks, the dynamics of reputation and the development of social capital
- The management of growth initiatives and corporate development processes, the limits of corporate growth and its long-term sustainability
- The management of deliberate and evolutionary change, of adaptation processes, and the achievement of sustainability in economic, environmental and social impacts
The Center for Research on Organization and Management (CROMA) was created in June 2008 by a group of 15 scholars in the Management Department of Bocconi University, all internationally recognized for their contributions in their areas of research activity.