Centre of Excellence in Responsible Business (COERB)
COERB builds on an existing cluster of faculty and administrators dealing with four specific teaching programs - Business and Sustainability (BSUS), Business Ethics (ETHC), Nonprofit Management and Leadership (NPML), an executive education wing, the Sustainable Enterprise Academy (SEA) – as well as a range of different faculty from across the school with associated research interests.
As of Fall 2016, more than 40 full-time faculty members from across the school have accepted an invitation to join the Centre. The research and/or teaching of all of these faculty members embraces responsible business issues, making us one of the largest and most powerful centres of excellence in this area in the world. There is particular research strength in Accounting, Operations Management, and Strategy. We also have 2 excellent economists who work exclusively on sustainability issues.
There are four endowed Chairs (business ethics, CSR, sustainability, corporate governance) which directly manage and lead COERB. The role of Centre Director is currently held by the Hewlett Packard-Chair in CSR, Professor Dirk Matten.
COERB has an Advisory Council which meets twice a year to advise on matters of research, teaching and outreach. It features representative of business, academia and civil society. The centre is also supported by, coordinating and working closely with a number of student organisation in the school:
- Net Impact
New-generation leaders using business for social impact
- CIM – The Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum
- Social Impact Management Association (SIMA)
- Corporate Social Responsibility Society
- York Sustainable Enterprise Consultants (YSEC)
The mission of the Centre is to be a global leader in:
- Creating and disseminating new knowledge about responsible business;
- Enabling and inspiring managers, policy makers, students, academics, and consumers to integrate ethics, social responsibility and sustainability into the core of their decision making processes;
- Fostering a new generation of business leaders who will be equipped to capture new business opportunities and innovate corporate strategies in response to new societal demands for a more sustainable and equitable society through responsible business;
Schulich School of Business is already a world leader in integrating ethics, social responsibility, and sustainability into its teaching and research programs. The school has a global reputation for its work in this area, and only a handful of elite institutions regularly rank alongside Schulich. In the most recent ranking, Schulich was positioned 1st in the world by the ‘2016 Better World MBA Ranking of Corporate Knights Magazine. Our teaching, research, executive development, and outreach activities address two main themes:
- Ethics, integrity and responsibility in business – we make sense of the exciting new opportunities and complex challenges facing managers in multiple stakeholder environments. We offer thought leadership on making social responsibility, ethics, and good governance part of a successful and sustainable business strategy.
- Sustainable enterprise – in striving for a sustainable future, economic goals have to be balanced with wider social and environmental goals. We provide robust research-based guidance on the numerous business opportunities and growth potential in transforming business practices towards sustainability. By focusing on the opportunities and risks posed by this new dynamic business environment, we offer new insight on the delivery of sustainable enterprise across private, public and nonprofit sectors.
Hewlett Packard-Chair in Corporate Social Responsibility, Director COERB