Global Center for Sustainable Business
Our vision is to become a national and international reference institution specializing in frontier topics in the field of sustainability.
More than an era of change, we are living in a change of era. As part of the transformation that the world is experiencing, the role of the firm is changing and companies could become agents that, without renouncing profits and growth, provide solutions for the global sustainability challenges that humankind faces today. In this context corporate sustainability needs to broaden its scope and enhance its approach regarding new value creation strategies that connect sustainability with innovation.
We aim to achieve our vision through curriculum development, research, thought leadership and the organization of national and international dialogues concerning the new role of business in society in the 21st century.
The Center was born out of the desire to contribute to overcoming the increasing difficulties faced by systems and institutions when responding to the most pressing world´s problems. Specifically, the Center focuses on the role that business can play in exploring new ways to create value for the company and positive impacts and solutions for society.
Activities academic year 2013-2014
- Teaching modules in six Masters at Deusto Business School, transversal education in sustainability in the Deusto MBA.
- Two reports being published
- Ongoing research projects in the areas of:
- Sustainability-driven innovation in innovative Spanish companies
- Status of Corporate Social Innovation in international companies- project funded by Bizkaia: Talent.
- The Role of Boards of Directors in sustainability oversight.
- Global Sustainability and Innovation Index.
Seven projects for companies in the areas of:
- New strategic models of value creation based on "Sustainability-driven Innovation".
- Two events on Internationalization and Corporate Social Responsibility.
- Intelligence Reports on sustainability and CSR in the Latin American context.
- Renewable Energy.
The Center has a Director, two affiliated researchers, two visiting Professors, a Coordinator of Activities, one Research Assistant and three Doctoral students.
The Activities of the Center are wholly funded on the basis of the income it generates. Professors are funded by the Business School and visiting Professors through public fellowships. The Center has two offices (Madrid and Bilbao) provided by the School.
The Center acts as Secretariat of the Global Network for Corporate Citizenship. The GNCC is an international alliance of experts in corporate responsibility and academic centers "close to market", working together to advance research, advocacy and education on the changing role of business in society.
Also, the GCSB is the focal point at the University of Deusto for the UN PRME initiative (Principles for Responsible Management Education, the first partnership between the UN and the business schools sector). The GCSB also represents Deusto Business School in the PRME Champions Group.