NBS Sustainability Centres Workshop Notes
Discover valuable insights from the 2014 NBS Sustainability Centres workshop, which brought together the directors of sustainability centres around the globe.
This document contains valuable insights from the June 2014 NBS Sustainability Centres
workshop, which brought together administrators and academics from sustainability centres around the globe to a two and a half day conference at Harvard University.The workshop objectives were to:
- Meet and build relationships with business sustainability centre directors from around the world.
- Share advice for addressing common challenges in teaching, research, outreach and administration.
- Scope opportunities for deep, ongoing collaboration.
A strong focus at the workshop was on breakout groups. As part of the collaborative theme of the workshop, participants at the conference divided into groups with the goal to identify and discuss key sustainability questions and challenges. All topics discussed fell within the broader categorizations of:
- Teaching and Curriculum;
- Research Learning;
- Outreach Learning;
- Strategy and Operations.
Below are findings reported by participants.
To measure impact:
- When measuring impact, develop an impact framework. This should consider (1) who are we trying to impact, (2) how, (3) do we want to influence behaviour change? These questions can be applied to students, schools/academy, and business.
Tips on setting strategy and vision
- Consider including timeline, strategic process, accreditation, community visioning and criteria.
When testing innovative funding models, try:
- Memberships (partners pay to play)
- Corporate sponsorships for specific initiatives
- Specialized sustainability fundraisers