NBS’s monthly compilation of the latest business sustainability research prioritizes in-press articles, in order to highlight cutting-edge knowledge. The list draws from Financial Times Top 50 journals and other publications.
See all monthly Table of Contents.
Research for July 2022
Academy of Management Discoveries
- Beyond Funds Raised: How Public Displays of Compassion Manifest in Crowdfunding Campaigns. Stella K. Seyb. Amélie Wuillaume. Dean A. Shepherd, Sally Maitlis.
California Management Review
- Linking Executive Compensation to Climate Performance. Robert A. Ritz.
Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice
- The Role of Family Ownership in Norm-Conforming Environmental Initiatives: Lessons from China. Pascual Berrone, Luis R. Gomez-Mejia, Kai Xu.
- Women Entrepreneurs Negotiating Identities in Liminal Digital Spaces. Grainne Kelly, Maura McAdam.
- Varieties of Necessity Entrepreneurship – New Insights From Sub Saharan Africa. Christiana Weber, Anja Fasse, Helen M. Haugh, Ulrike Grote.
- In Pursuit of Impact: From Research Questions to Problem Formulation in Entrepreneurship Research. Suwen Chen, Garima Sharma, Pablo Muñoz.
- Indigenous Entrepreneurship and Venture Creation: A Typology of Indigenous Crowdfunding Campaigns. Annaleena Parhankangas, Rick Colbourne.
Harvard Business Review
- A Seat at the Table Is Not Enough.
- When Hiring CEOs, Focus on Character. Aiyesha Dey.
- To Drive Diversity Efforts, Don’t Tiptoe Around Your Legal Risk. Edward Chang, Bonnie Levine.
- Private Equity Should Take the Lead in Sustainability. Robert G. Eccles, Vinay Shandal, David Young, Benedicte Montegomery.
- Leadership in a Politically Charged Age. Nour Kteily, Eli J. Finkel.
- Why You Need an AI Ethics Committee. Reid Blackman.
- EXPRESS: 21st Century Bridling: Non-disclosure agreements in cases of organizational misconduct. Victoria Pagan.
- EXPRESS: The Act of (De/Re)Growing – Prefiguring Alternative Organizational Landscapes of Socioecological Change. Maria Ehrnström-Fuentes, Ingrid Biese.
- Critical Essay: Wicked problems in the Age of Uncertainty. Keith Grint.
- Extending organizational socialization theory: Empirical evidence from volunteer work for refugees in France and Australia. Charlotte Traeger, Debbie Haski-Leventhal, Kerstin Alfes.
- The work is alive! Systems psychodynamics and the pursuit of pluralism without polarization in human relations. Gianpiero Petriglieri, Jennifer Louise Petriglieri.
- Humanizing work in the digital age: Lessons from socio-technical systems and quality of working life initiatives. David Guest, Angela Knox, Chris Warhurst.
Information Systems Research
- Bidding on a Peer-to-Peer Energy Market: An Exploratory Field Study. Anselma Wörner, Verena Tiefenbeck, Felix Wortmann, Arne Meeuw, Liliane Ableitner, Elgar Fleisch, Inês Azevedo.
Journal of Business Ethics
- The Political Ontology of Corporate Social Responsibility: Obscuring the Pluriverse in Place. Maria Ehrnström-Fuentes, Steffen Böhm.
- Offshore Outsourcing from a Catholic Social Teaching Perspective. Gregorio Guitián, Alejo José G. Sison.
- Values and Multi-stakeholder Dialog for Business Transformation in Light of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Sameul Petros Sebhatu, Bo Enquist.
- Defining and Conceptualizing Impact Investing: Attractive Nuisance or Catalyst? Kai Hockerts, Lisa Hehen Berger, Stefan Schaltegger, Vanina Farber.
- Value, Values, and Valuation: The Marketization of Charitable Foundation Impact Investing. Kirsten Andersen, Rebbecca Tekula.
- Developing, Validating, and Applying a Measure of Human Quality Treatment. Peter McGhee, Jarrod Haar, Kemi Ogunyemi, Patricia Grant.
- Activating Corporate Environmental Ethics on the Frontline: A Natural Resource-Based View. Colin B. Gabler, Omar S. Itani, Raj Agnihotri.
- Good Intentions Gone Awry: Government Intervention and Multistakeholder Engagement in a Frontier Market. Ethiopia L. Segaro, Kajsa Haag.
- Rainbow Wash or Rainbow Revolution? Dynamic Stakeholder Engagement for SDG-Driven Responsible Innovation. Leopoldo Gutierrez, Ivan Montiel, Jordi A. Surroca, Josep A. Tribo.
- Determinants of Supply Chain Engagement in Carbon Management. Katrina Lintukangas, Heli Arminen, Anni-Kaisa Kähkönen, Elina Karttunen.
- Privacy Behaviour: A Model for Online Informed Consent. Gary Burkhardt, Frederic Boy, Daniele Doneddu, Nick Hajli.
- Achieving Sustainable Development Goals Through Collaborative Innovation: Evidence from Four European Initiatives. Laura Mariani, Benedette Trivellato, Mattia Martini, Elisabetta Marafioti.
- A Decision Theory Perspective on Wicked Problems, SDGs and Stakeholders: The Case of Deforestation. Anthony Alexander, Helen Walker, Izabela Delabre.
- Fostering Social Impact Through Corporate Implementation of the SDGs: Transformative Mechanisms Towards Interconnectedness and Inclusiveness. Simona Fiandrino, Francesca Scarpa, Riccardo Torelli.
- Working with Complexity in the Context of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals: A Case Study of Global Health Partnerships. Özgü Karakulak, Lea Stadtler.
- The Purpose Ecosystem and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals: Interactions Among Private Sector Actors and Stakeholders. Wendy Stubbs, Frederik Dahlmann, Rob Raven.
- “Everyone Has a Truth”: Forms of Ecological Embeddedness in an Interorganizational Context. Lucie Baudoin, Daniel Arenas.
- The ‘Court of Public Opinion:’ Public Perceptions of Business Involvement in Human Rights Violations. Matthew Amengual, Rita Mota, Alexander Rustler.
- Managerial Discretion, Market Failure and Democracy. Michael Bennett.
- Looking Good in the Eyes of Stakeholders: Corporate Giving and Corporate Acquisitions. Yongqiang Gao, Miaohan Zhang, Haibin Yang.
- Governing Corporate Social Responsibility Decoupling: The Effect of the Governance Committee on Corporate Social Responsibility Decoupling. Ammar Ali Gull, Nazim Hussain, Sana Akbar Khan, Zaheer Khan, Asif Saeed.
- Accounting for Plural Cognitive Framings of Growth and Sustainability: Rethinking Management Education in Latin America. Maria Jose Murcia, Pilar Acosta.
- Three Paths to Feeling Just: How Managers Grapple with Justice Conundrums During Organizational Change. Julia Zwank, Marjo-Riitta Diehl, Marion Fortin.
- Particularizing Nonhuman Nature in Stakeholder Theory: The Recognition Approach. Teea Kortetmäki, Anna Heikkinen, Ari Jokinen.
- Exploring and Expanding Supererogatory Acts: Beyond Duty for a Sustainable Future. Gareth R. T. White, Anthony Samuel, Robert J. Thomas.
- How do Russian National Systems of Institutional Absences Shape Insensitive Corporate Environmental Violence of a Russian Extractive Multinational Corporation? Sofia Viollo, Natalya Turkina.
- Dissensus and Deadlock in the Evolution of Labour Governance: Global Supply Chains and the International Labour Organization (ILO). Huw Thomas, Mark Anner.
- Organizational Event Stigma: Typology, Processes, and Stickiness. Kim Clark, Yuan Li.
- Assessing the Legitimacy of Corporate Political Activity: Uber and the Quest for Responsible Innovation. Gastón de los Reyes, Markus Scholz.
- Elections and CSR Engagement: International Evidence. Bryan W. Husted, Walid Saffar.
- Rank Has Its Privileges: Explaining Why Laboratory Safety Is a Persistent Challenge. Gokce Basbug, Ayn Cavicchi, Susan S. Silbey.
- Who Cares More About the Environment, Those with an Intrinsic, an Extrinsic, a Quest, or an Atheistic Religious Orientation?: Investigating the Effect of Religious Ad Appeals on Attitudes Toward the Environment. Denni Arli, Patrick van Esch, Yuanyuan Cui.
- Do Corporate Customers Prefer Socially Responsible Suppliers? An Instrumental Stakeholder Theory Perspective. Ran Tao, Jian Wu, Hong Zhao.
- In the Club? How Categorization and Contact Impact the Board Gender Diversity-Firm Performance Relationship. Andre Havrylyshyn, Donald J. Schepker, Anthony J. Nyberg.
- Beyond Rational Persuasion: How Leaders Change Moral Norms. Charles Spinosa, Matthew Hancocks, Haridimos Tsoukas, Billy Glennon.
- Ethical Sensemaking in Impact Investing: Reasons and Motives in the Chinese Renewable Energy Sector. Tongyu Meng, Jamie Newth, Christine Woods.
- The Escalation of Organizational Moral Failure in Public Discourse: A Semiotic Analysis of Nokia’s Bochum Plant Closure. Lauri Wessel, Riku Ruotsalainen, Henri A. Schildt, Christopher Wickert.
- Who Has a Seat at the Table in Impact Investing? Addressing Inequality by Giving Voice. Guillermo Casasnovas, Jessica Jones.
- On the Discursive Construction of Social Entrepreneurship in Pitch Situations: The Intertextual Reproduction of Business and Social Discourse by Presenters and Their Audience. Karin Kreutzer.
- Why (Some) Corporations Have Positive Duties to (Some of) the Global Poor. Tadhg Ó Laoghaire.
- Blended Social Impact Investment Transactions: Why Are They So Complex? Michael Moran, Libby Ward-Christie.
- The Impact of Perceived Greenwashing on Customer Satisfaction and the Contingent Role of Capability Reputation. Ioannis Ioannou, George Kassinis, Giorgos Papagiannakis.
- Arenas of Contestation: A Senian Social Justice Perspective on the Nature of Materiality in Impact Measurement. Othmar Manfred Lehner, Alex Nicholls, Sarah Beatric Kapplmüller.
- Trying to Serve Two Masters is Easy, Compared to Three: Identity Multiplicity Work by Christian Impact Investors. Brett R. Smith, Amanda Lawson, Jessica Jones, Tim Holcomb, Aimee Minnich.
- Sustainable Procurement Practice: The Effect of Procurement Officers’ Perceptions. Daniel Etse, Adela McMurray, Nuttawuth Menjohn.
- From Fiduciary Duty to Impact Fidelity: Managerial Compensation in Impact Investing. Isaline Thirion, Patrick Reichert, Virginie Xhauflair, Jonathan De Jonck.
- A Paradox of Ethics: Why People in Good Organizations do Bad Things. Muel Kaptein.
- My Company Cares About My Success…I Think: Clarifying Why and When a Firm’s Ethical Reputation Impacts Employees’ Subjective Career Success. Darryl B. Rice, Regina M. Taylor, Yiding Wang, Sijing Wei, Valentina Ge.
- Deliberating with the Autocrats? A Case Study on the Limitations and Potential of Political CSR in a Non-Democratic Context. Anna-Lena Maier, Dirk Ulrich Gilbert.
- Struggling to Stay Engaged During Adversity: A Daily Investigation of Frontline Service Employees’ Job Insecurity and the Moderating Role of Ethical Leader Behavior. Sang-Hoon Lee, Won-Moo Hur, Yuhyung Shin.
- A Mixed Blessing? CEOs’ Moral Cleansing as an Alternative Explanation for Firms’ Reparative Responses Following Misconduct. Joel B. Carnevale, K. Ashley Gangloff.
- Are Business Ethics Effective? A Market Failures Approach to Impact Investing. Rodney Schmidt.
- Religious Beliefs Inspire Sustainable HOPE (Help Ourselves Protect the Environment): Culture, Religion, Dogma, and Liturgy—The Matthew Effect in Religious Social Responsibility. Yalin Mo, Junyu Zhao, Thomas Li-Ping Tang.
- Do LGBTQ-Supportive Corporate Policies Affect Consumer Behavior? Evidence from the Video Game Industry. Petr Parshakov, Iuliia Naidenova, Carlos Gomez-Gonzalez, Cornel Nesseler.
- What Motivates Entrepreneurs into Circular Economy Action? Evidence from Japan and Finland. Savu Rovanto, Max Finne.
Journal of Consumer Research
- The Pursuit of Meaning and the Preference for Less Expensive Options. Nicole L. Mead, Lawrence E. Williams.
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management
- Take a ride on the (not so) green side: How do CDM projects affect Indian manufacturing firms’ environmental performance? Jūratė Jaraitė, Oliwia Kurtyka, Hélène Ollivier.
- Do carbon footprint labels promote climatarian diets? Evidence from a large-scale field experiment. Paul M. Lohmann, Elisabeth Gsottbauer, Anya Doherty, Andreas Kontoleon.
- Pollution pictures: Psychological exposure to pollution impacts worker productivity in a large-scale field experiment. Nikolai Cook, Anthony Heyes.
- A market for snow: Modeling winter recreation patterns under current and future climate. Bryan Parthum, Peter Christensen.
- Europe beyond coal – An economic and climate impact assessment. Christoph Böhringer, Knut Einar Rosendahl.
- The effect of local monitoring on nuclear safety and compliance: Evidence from France. Romain Bizet, Petyo Bonev, François Lévêque.
Journal of Finance
- Do Firms Respond to Gender Pay Gap Transparency? Morten Bennedsen, Elena Simintzi, Margarita Tsoutsoura, Daniel Wolfenzon.
Journal of Financial and Qualitative Analysis
- Shareholder Litigation and Corporate Social Responsibility. Steven Freund, Nam H. Nguyen, Hieu V. Phan.
Journal of International Business Studies
- Political corporate social responsibility: The role of deliberative capacity. Richard W. Carney, Sadok El Ghoul, Omrane Guedhami, Jane W. Gu, He Wang.
- Income inequality, social cohesion, and crime against businesses: Evidence from a global sample of firms. Sorin M. S. Krammer, Addisu A. Lashitew, Jonathan P. Doh.
- Competition laws, ownership, and corporate social responsibility. Wenzhi Ding, Ross Levine, Chen Lin, Wensi Xie.
- Global connectedness and dynamic green capabilities in MNEs. Vladislav Maksimov, Stephanie Lu Wang, Shipeng Yan.
- Minimizing Multimodular Functions and Allocating Capacity in Bike-Sharing Systems. Daniel Freund, Shane G. Henderson, David B. Shmovs.
Organization and Environment
- Involuntary Disclosures and Stakeholder-Initiated Communication on Social Media. Dorota Dobija, Charles H. Cho, Chaoyuan She, Ewelina Zarzycka, Joanna Krasodomska, Dariusz Jemielniak.
- Why Bad News Can Be Good News: The Signaling Feedback Effect of Negative Media Coverage of Corporate Irresponsibility. Limin Fu.
- Culture as Context: A Five-Country Study of Discretionary Green Workplace Behavior. Yuan Jiang, Susan E. Jackson, Hanbo Shim, Pawan Budhwar, Douglas W. S. Renwick, Charbel Jose Chiappetta Jabbour, Ana Beatriz Lopes de Sousa Jabbour, Guiyao Tang, Michael Müller-Camen, Marcus Wagner, Andrea Kim.
- An Attention-Based View on Environmental Management: The Influence of Entrepreneurial Orientation, Environmental Sustainability Orientation, and Competitive Intensity on Green Product Innovation in Swedish Small Manufacturing Firms. Jim Andersén.
- Organisational Drivers and Challenges in Circular Economy Implementation: An Issue Life Cycle Approach. Noora Piila, Milla Sarja, Tiina Onkila, Marileena Mäkelä.
- Let’s Profitably Fight Poverty, Shall We? How Managers Use Emotional Framing to Develop Base of the Pyramid Ventures Inside a Large Fast-moving Consumer Goods Company. T. H. J. Geradts, J. J. P. Jansen, J. P. Cornelissen.
- Metaphorical Mapping for Sensemaking and Sensebreaking of Stakeholder Relations in Sustainability Frames. Kalyani Menon.
- Managing the Double Bind: Women Directors’ Participation Tactics in the Gendered Boardroom. Tiffany Trzebiatowski, Courtney McCluney, Morela Hernandez.
- Gatekeeping the Use of Contested Practices in Creative Industries: The Case of Fur in Fashion. Frédéric Godart, Greta Hsu, Giacomo Negro.
- Making Space for Garbage Cans: How emergent groups organize social media spaces to orchestrate widescale helping in a crisis. Gary T. Burke, Omid Omidvar, Agnessa Spanellis, Igor Pyrko.
- Countering Indeterminate Temporariness: Sheltering work in refugee camps. Farah Kodeih, Henri Schildt, Thomas B. Lawrence.
- How do Incumbents Affect the Founding of Cooperatives? Evidence from the German electricity industry. Min Liu, Christina Guenther.
- Prosocial Organizing and the Distance between Core and Community Work. Valeria Cavotta Sébastien Mena.
- Orchestrating Open Innovation through Punctuated Openness: A process model of open organizing for tackling wicked multi-stakeholder problems. Damla Diriker, Amanda J. Porter, Philipp Tuertscher.
- Organizing for the Smart African City: Leveraging the urban commons for exerting the right to the city. Camaren Peter, Camille Meyer.
- Stakeholders Shan’t Save Society. Michael L. Barnett.
- Media Review: Research Handbook of Responsible Management. Arno Kourula, Pushpika Vishwanathan.
- For whom the bell tolls: The firm-level effects of automation on wage and gender inequality. Giacomo Domini, Marco Grazzi, Daniele Moschella, Tania Treibich.
- How do global manufacturing shifts affect long-term clean energy innovation? A study of wind energy suppliers. Claudia Doblinger, Kavita Surana, Deyu Li, Nathan Hultman, Laura Díaz Anadón.
- Does green public procurement trigger environmental innovations? Bastian Krieger, Vera Zipperer.
- Green innovation and financial performance: A study on Italian firms. Efi Vasileiou, Nikolaos Georgantzis, Giuseppe Attanasi, Patrick Llerena.
Sloan Management Review
- Unlock the Power of Purpose. Álvaro Lleó de Nalda, Alex Montaner, Amy C. Edmondson, Phil Sotok.
- How a Values-Based Approach Advances DEI. Anselm A. Beach, Albert H. Segars.
- Why We Don’t Talk About Meaning at Work. Marjolein Lips-Wiersma, Catherine Bailey, Adrian Madden, Lani Morris.
- Fostering Ethical Conduct Through Psychological Safety. Antoine Ferrère, Chris Rider, Baiba Renerte, Amy Edmonson.
See all monthly Table of Contents.
ResponsesThis site uses User Verification plugin to reduce spam. See how your comment data is processed.