NBS’s monthly compilation of the latest business sustainability research prioritizes in-press articles, in order to highlight cutting-edge knowledge. The list draws from Financial Times Top 50 journals and other publications.
See all monthly Table of Contents.
Research for May 2022
Academy of Management Learning and Education
- Lingering COVID and Looming Grand Crises: Envisioning Business Schools’ Business Model Transformations. Oliver Laasch, Olga Ryazanova, April Wright.
- Addressing the Elephant in the Room: Global Migration and Its Implications for Business School Teaching. Aida Hajro, Milda Žilinskaitė, Paul Baldassari.
Academy of Management Review
- 2021 Presidential Address: Meeting Our Moment. Quinetta M Roberson.
- The Role of Gender in the Aggressive Questioning of CEOs during Earning Conference Calls. Joseph Comprix, Kerstin Lopatta, Sebastian A. Tideman.
Administrative Science Quarterly
- Book Review: Rebecca Henderson. Reimagining Capitalism in a World on Fire. Chris Marquis. Better Business: How the B Corp Movement Is Remaking Capitalism. Rodolphe Durand.
- Book Review: Michael Lenox and Rebecca Duff: The Decarbonization Imperative: Transforming the Global Economy by 2050. Anita M. McGahan.
- Good Corp, Bad Corp, and the Rise of B Corps: How Market Incumbents’ Diverse Responses Reinvigorate Challengers. Suntae Kim, Todd Schifeling.
- Regulatory Spillover and Workplace Racial Inequality Letian Zhang.
- Book Review: Mike Savage. The Return of Inequality: Social Change and the Weight of the Past. Mitchel Y. Abolafia.
- Frenemies: Overcoming Audiences’ Ideological Opposition to Firm-Activist Collaborations. Kate Odziekowska.
Business Ethics Quarterly
- The Challenge of Implementing Voluntary Sustainability Standards: A Dynamic Framework on the Tension between Adherence and Adaptation. Lucrezia Nava, Maja Tampe.
- Better Business: How the B Corp Movement Is Remaking Capitalism. Raquel Antolín-López.
- Corporate Responsibility for Wealth Creation and Human Rights. Marcos Paulo de Lucca-Silveira.
- Affirmative Action in India via Vertical, Horizontal, and Overlapping Reservations. Tayfun Sönmez, M. Bumin Yenmez.
Human Resource Management
- Caught in the Eye of the Perfect Storm: Lebanese Women Human Resource Managers Coping with Macro-level Turbulence. Hayfaa A. Tlaiss.
- Exploring Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion in Multiethnic Settings: A Context-Sensitive Approach. Chiodozie Umeh, Nelarine Cornelius, James Wallace.
- Gender in Human Resources: Hiding in Plain Sight. Susan Ainsworth, Andreas Pekarek.
- Cultural Intelligence and Establishment of Organisational Diversity Management Practices: An Upper Echelons Perspective. Lauren A. Turner, Kimberly K. Merriman.
Journal of Applied Psychology
- Walking on Eggshells: A Self-Control Perspective on Workplace Political Correctness. Lanaj, Klodiana Lanaj, Young Eun Lee, Valeria Alterman, Cody Bradley, Adam C. Stoverink.
- Asians Don’t Ask? Relational Concerns, Negotiation Propensity, and Starting Salaries. Jackson G. Lu.
- When Thriving Requires Effortful Surviving: Delineating Manifestations and Resource Expenditure Outcomes of Microaggressions for Black Employees. Danielle D. King, Elisa S. M. Fattoracci, David W. Hollingsworth, Elliot Stahr, Melinda Nelson.
- Are Leaders Still Presumed White by Default? Racial Bias in Leader Categorization Revisited. Christopher D. Petsko, Ashleigh Shelby Rosette.
- The Ethics of Diversity Ideology: Consequences of Leader Diversity Ideology on Ethical Leadership Perception and Organizational Citizenship Behavior. Carolyn T. Dang, Sabrina D. Volpone, Elizabeth E. Umphress.
- From Inclusive Climate to Organizational Innovation: Examining Internal and External Enablers for Knowledge Management Capacity. Yixuan Li, Yiduo Shao, Mo Wang, Yanran Fang, Yaping Gong, Chang Li.
Journal of Business Venturing
- Social Corporations Under the Spotlight: A Governance Perspective. Coline Serres, Marek Hudon, François Maon.
- Staying Poor: Unpacking the Process of Barefoot Institutional Entrepreneurship Failure. Maria L. Granados, Ainurul Rosli, Manto Gotsi.
Journal of Consumer Marketing
- Why do Consumers Free ride? Investigating the Effects of Cognitive Effort on Postpurchase Dissonance. Constanza Nosi, Lamberto Zollo, Riccardo Rialti, Cristiano Ciappei
- Moral Identity and Engagement in Sustainable Consumption. Laura Salciuviene, Jūrantė Banytė, Mantas Vilkas, Aistė Dovalienė, Žaneta Gravelines.
- Linguistic Racism in Inter-Culture Service Encounter. Aaminah Zaman Malik, Audhesh Paswan.
- An Integrated Framework Examining Sustainable Green Behavior among Young Consumers. Siti Aqilah Jahari, Ashley Hass, Izian Binti Idris, Mathew Joseph.
- Food Waste Perceptions: Vice versus Virtue Foods. Joon Yong Seo, Sukki Yoon.
Journal of Economics and Management Strategy
- Price Effects of Calling Out Market Power: A Study of the COVID-19 Oil Price Shock. Aaron Barkley, David P. Byrne, Xiaosong Wu.
- Environmental Regulation and Foreign Investment: Evidence from China. Yunyi Hu, Haitao Yin, Jon J. Moon.
Journal of Financial Economics
- Partisan Residential Sorting on Climate Change Risk. Asaf Bernstein, Stephen B. Billings, Matthew T. Gustafson, Ryan Lewis.
Journal of Industrial Ecology
- When One Cannot Bypass the By Products: Plastic Packaging Waste Embedded in Production and Export. Xiang Gao, Sandy Dall’erba, Brenna Ellison, Andre F. T. Avelino, Cuihong Yang.
- Methodological Framework to FInd Links Between Life Cycle Sustainability Assessment Categories and the UN Sustainable Development Goals Based on Literature. Marwa B. Hannouf, Alejandro Padilla-Rivera, Getachew Assefa, Ian Gates.
- A Terminology for Downcycling. Christoph Helbig, Jonas Huether, Charlotte Joachimsthaler, Christian Lehmann, Simone Raatz, Andrea Thorenz, Martin Faulstich, Axel Tuma.
- A Matter of Timing: System Requirements for Repair and their Temporal Dimensions. Jennifer D. Russell, Sahra Svensson-Hoglund, Jessika Luth Richter, Carl Dalhammar, Leonidas Milios.
- “When We Got Divorced, I Left All My Things Behind.”: How the Lifespan of Household Goods is Linked to the Biographical Trajectory of their Owners. Julie Madon.
- Turning Trash into Treasure: An Approach to the Environmental Assessment of Waste Prevention and its Application to Clothing and Furniture in Switzerland. Maja Wiprächtiger, Martina Rapp, Stefanie Hellweg, Rhythima Shinde, Melanie Haupt.
- Analysis of Attachment Factors of Small Household EEE: An Opportunity toward the Circular Economy. Elena Mulet, Vicente Chulvi, Marta Royo.
- The Relationship Between Climate Change Mitigation Strategies and the Financial Performance of Brazilian Companies. Alexandre Rafael Barbosa Castilho, Simone Ruchdi Barakat.
- Sustainability in a Global Circular Economy: Insights on Consumer Price Sensitivity. Neeraj C. Hanumante, Yogendra Shastri, Andrew Hoadley.
- Development of Eco-Industrial Parks in Ethiopia: The Case of Hawassa Industrial Park. Doryn Negesa, Wei Cong, Lei Cheng, Lei Shi.
Journal of Management
- When Disaster Strikes! An Interdisciplinary Review of Disasters and Their Organizational Consequences. Heath R. Gregg, Simon Lloyd Restubog, Marie Dasborough, Changmeng (Melody Xu), Catherine Midel Deen, Yaqing He.
- Employees’ Emotional and Behavioral Reactions to Corporate Social Irresponsibility. Corentin Hericher, Flore Bridoux.
- Social Class and Work: A Review and Organizing Framework. Jennifer J. Kish-Gephart, Kristie J. N. Moergen, Jacqueline D. Tilton, Barbara Gray.
- (Overcoming) Maternity Bias in the Workplace: A Systematic Review. David F. Arena Jr., Sabrina D. Volpone, Kristen P. Jones.
- Diversity Ideologies, Beliefs, and Climates: A Review, Integration, and Set of Recommendations. Lisa M. Leslie, Elinor Flynn.
- Setting the Stage for Success: How Participation Diversity Can Help Teams Leverage Racioethnic Diversity. Derek R. Avery, Lauren A. Rhue, Patrick F. McKay.
- On the Role of Institutional Logics in Legitimacy Evaluations: The Effects of Pricing and CSR Signals on Organizational Legitimacy. Alex Bitektine, Fei Song.
- Shine Bright Like a Diamond: When Signaling Creates Glass Cliffs for Female Executives. Max Reinwald, Johannes Zaia, Florian Kunze.
- The Influence of Task Environmental Uncertainty on the Balance Between Normative and Strategic Corporate Social Responsibility. David J. Skandera, Aaron F. McKenny, James G. Combs.
- Ethical Leadership and Ethical Voice: The Mediating Mechanisms of Value Internalization and Integrity Identity. Yuyan Zheng, Olga Epitropaki, Les Graham, Nick Caveney.
Journal of Management Studies
- Actions Speak Louder than Words, Particularly in the East: How Taiwanese Followers Perceive Leaders’ Promotion of Ethical Actions Differently from Followers in the States. An-Chih Wang, Yanyu Chen, Sheng-Bin Wang, Yi-Chieh Lin, Chuan-Yu Tseng.
- Understanding Scientific Freedom and Scientific Responsibility in Business and Management Research. Anne S. Tsui, Peter McKiernan.
- Two Cheers for RRBM, Pasteur’s Quadrant, and an Application of RRBM to the Commercialization of Science and Technology Transfer. Donald S. Siegel.
- Polycentric Governance of Privately Owned Resources in Circular Economy Systems. Samuli Patala, Laura Albareda, Minna Halme.
Journal of Marketing Research
- The Price Entitlement Effect: When and Why High Price Entitles Consumers to Purchase Socially Costly Products. Saerom Lee, Karen Page Winterich.
- Engaging Consumers with Environmental Sustainability Initiatives: Consumer Global–Local Identity and Global Brand Messaging. Ekaterina Salnikova, Yuliya Strizhakova, Robin A. Coulter.
Journal of Operations Management
- Supply Chain Transparency: Consumer Reactions to Incongruent Signals. Diane A. Mollenkopf, Simone T. Peinkofer, Yu (Jade) Chu.
- Accelerating Vehicle Fleet Turnover to Achieve Sustainable Mobility Goals. Sergey Naumov, David R. Keith, John D. Sterman.
Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists (JAERE)
- Does Energy Star Certification Reduce Energy Use in Commercial Buildings? Becka Brolinson, Karen Palmer, Margaret Walls.
- Environmental Regulation and Product Attributes: The Case of European Passenger Vehicle Greenhouse Gas Emissions Standards. Yujie Lin, Josh Linn.
- Who Will Pay for Legacy Utility Costs? Lucas W. Davis, Catherine Hausman.
- The Curious Case of the Missing Chinese Emissions. Joel Rodrigue, Dan Sheng, Yong Tan.
- Higher Minimum Wages Reduce Capital Expenditures. Matthew T. Gustafson, Jason D. Kotter.
- Right to Repair: Pricing, Welfare, and Environmental Implications. Chen Jin, Luyi Yang, Cungen Zhu.
- Analyzing Active Fund Managers’ Commitment to ESG: Evidence from the United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment. Soohun Kim, Aaron Yoon.
- Female Directors and Firm Value: New Evidence from Directors’ Deaths. Thomas Schmid, Daniel Urban.
- Meeting Corporate Renewable Power Targets. Alessio Trivella, Danial Mohseni-Taheri, Selvaprabu Nadarajah.
- Is Price Commitment a Better Solution to Control Carbon Emissions and Promote Technology Investment? Xiaoshuai Fan, Kanglin Chen, Ying-Ju Chen.
- Global Disaster Risk Matters. Jian Chen, Jiaquan Yao, Qunzi Zhang, Xiaoneng Zhu.
- Social Performance Incentives in Mission-Driven Firms. Sun-Moon Jung, Jae Yong Shin.
- Doing Well by Doing Good: Improving Retail Store Performance with Responsible Scheduling Practices at the Gap, Inc. Saravanen Kesvan, Susan J. Lambert, Joan C. Williams, Pradeep K. Pendem.
- The Impact of Social Investing on Charitable Donations. Jake An, Donnel Briley, Shai Danziger, Shai Levi.
- The Battle for Homes: How Does Home Sharing Disrupt Local Residential Markets? Wei Chan, Zaiyan Wei, Karen Xie.
See all monthly Table of Contents.