NBS’s monthly compilation of the latest business sustainability research prioritizes in-press articles, in order to highlight cutting-edge knowledge. The list draws from Financial Times Top 50 journals and other publications.
See all monthly Table of Contents.
Research for September 2022
Academy of Management Journal
- From the Editors—Joining Societal Conversations on Management and Organizations. Laszlo Tihanyi, Jennifer Howard-Grenville, Katherine A. DeCelles.
- The Benefits and Burdens of Work Moralization on Creativity. Timothy G Kundro.
- The Technological Entrainment of Moral Issues: The Case of Genomic Data Markets. Barbara L. Gray, Forrest Briscoe, Celeste Diaz Ferraro.
- Tempering Temperance? A Contingency Approach to Social Movements’ Entry Deterrence in Scottish Whisky Distilling, 1823–1921. Michel W. Lander, Thomas J Roulet, Pursey P. M. A. R. Heugens.
- “We Can’t Compete on Human Rights”: Creating Market-Protected Spaces to Institutionalize the Emerging Logic of Responsible Management. Elke S. Schüßler, Nora Lohmeyer, Sarah Ashwin.
- Can I Sell You Avocadoes and Talk to You About Contraception? Well, It Depends Which Comes First: Anchor Roles and Asymmetric Boundaries. Patrick Shulist, Miguel Rivera-Santos, Geoffrey M Kistruck, Winnie Nguni.
- Free to Be Me? Evolving Gender Expression and the Dynamic Interplay between Authenticity and the Desire to Be Accepted at Work. Sophie Hennekam, Jamie J. Ladge.
- Signaling Legitimacy: Why Mixed-Gender Coalitions Outperform Single-Gender Coalitions in Advocating for Gender Equity. Insiya Hussain, Subrahmaniam Tangirala, Elad N. Sherf.
- “Am I Next?” The Spillover Effects of Mega-Threats on Avoidant Behaviors at Work. Angelica Leigh, Shimul Melwani.
- The Policy–People Gap: Decision-Makers Choose Policies That Favor Different Applicants than They Select When Making Individual Decisions. David M. Munguia Gomez, Emma E. Levine.
- Living Up to the Hype: How New Ventures Manage the Resource and Liability of Future-Oriented Visions within the Nascent Market of Impact Investing. Danielle Logue, Matthew Grimes.
American Economic Review
The Psychosocial Value of Employment: Evidence from a Refugee Camp. Reshmaan Hussam, Erin M. Kelley, Gregory Lane, Fatima Zahra.
Credit, Attention, and Externalities in the Adoption of Energy Efficient Technologies by Low-Income Households. Susanna B. Berkouwer, Joshua T. Dean.
Business and Society
- Bribe Payments and State Ownership: The Impact of State Ownership on Bribery Propensity and Intensity. Jingtao Yi, Liang Chen, Shuang Meng, Sali Li, Noman Shaheer.
- Coordinated Enactment: How Organizational Departments Work Together to Implement CSR. David Risi, Christopher Wickert, Tommaso Ramus.
- Advancing a Contextualized, Community-Centric Understanding of Social Entrepreneurial Ecosystems. Anne de Bruin, Michael J. Roy, Suzanne Grant, Kate V. Lewis.
- Why Social Enterprises Resist or Collectively Improve Impact Assessment: The Role of Prior Organizational Experience and “Impact Lock-In”. Jarrod Ormiston.
- Implications of Overwhelmed Leadership: How Executive Job Demands Hinder Corporate Sustainability Performance. Manish Popli, Mehul Raithatha.
- The Influence of Strategic Disclosure on Corporate Climate Performance Ratings. Patrick J. Callery.
- From the Substantive to the Ceremonial: Exploring Interrelations Between Recognition and Aspirational CSR Talk. Hannah Trittin-Ulbrich.
- Corporate Environmental Governance Strategies Under the Dual Supervision of the Government and the Public. Huixiang Zeng, Zhiying Huang, Qiong Zhou, Pengwei He, Xu Cheng.
- When the Right Thing to Do Is Also the Wrong Thing: Moral Sensemaking of Responsible Business Behavior During the COVID-19 Crisis. Heidi Reed.
- Strengthening Deliberation in Business: Learning From Aristotle’s Ethics of Deliberation. Sandrine Frémeaux, Christian Voegtlin.
- Employees’ Perspectives on the Costs and Benefits of Organizations’ Environmental Initiatives. Stuart Allen.
- Business and the Climate Crisis: Toward Engagement With Climate Assemblies. Simon Pek.
- Enacting a Grand Challenge for Business and Society: Theorizing Issue Maturation in the Media-Based Public Discourse on COVID-19 in Three National Contexts. Bennet Schwoon, Dennis Schoeneborn, Andreas Georg Scherer.
- Making Impact Investing More Than Just Well-Meaning Capital. Francesca Casalini, Veronica Vecchi.
- A Processual Model of CEO Activism: Activities, Frames, and Phases. Laura Olkkonen, Mette Morsing.
- #Activism: Investor Reactions to Corporate Sociopolitical Activism. Simbarashe Pasirayi, Patrick B. Fennell, Kayla B. Follmer.
- Multistakeholder Benefits: A Meta-Analysis of Different Theories. Victor Zitian Chen, Meng Zhong, Patricio Duran, Steve Sauerwald.
The influences on farmers’ planned and actual farm adaptation decisions: Evidence from small-scale irrigation schemes in South-Eastern Africa. Fentahun Abebe, Alec Zuo, Sarah Ann Wheeler, Henning Bjornlund, Mario Chilundod, Luitfred Kissolye, Thabani Dube.
The environmental cost of the international job market for economists. Olivier Chanel, Alberto Prati, Morgan Raux.
Is private sustainability governance a myth? Evaluating major sustainability certifications in primary production: A mixed methods meta-study. Thomas Dietz, Lisa Biber-Freudenberger, Laura Deal, Jan Börner.
Do countries with higher institutional quality transition to cleaner trade?. Jesús Peiró-Palomino, Ernesto Rodríguez-Crespo, Marta Suárez-Varela.
Investigating acceptance of marine tourism levies, to cover the opportunity costs of conservation for coastal communities. Hollie Booth, Susana Mourato, E.J. Milner-Gulland.
Permanence of avoided deforestation in a Transamazon REDD+ project (Pará, Brazil). Cauê D. Carrilho, Gabriela Demarchi, Amy E. Duchelle, Sven Wunder, Carla Morsello.
Sustainable food: Can information from food labels make consumers switch to meat substitutes?. Fredrik Carlsson, Mitesh Kataria, Elina Lampi.
Distributional fairness of personal carbon trading. Atte Pitkänen, Tuuli von Wright, Janne Kaseva, Helena Kahiluoto.
A role for grassroots innovation toward agroecological transitions in the Global South? Evidence from Mexico. José Francisco Orozco-Meléndez, Jaime Paneque-Gálvez.
Financial profitability of diversified farming systems: A global meta-analysis. Andrea C. Sánchez, Hannah N. Kamau, Francesca Grazioli, Sarah K. Jones.
Improving acceptance of natural capital accounting in land use decision making: Barriers and opportunities. Aysha Fleming, Anthony P. O’Grady, Cara Stitzlein, Sue Ogilvy, Daniel Mendham, Matthew T. Harrison.
Rethinking work for a just and sustainable future. Erik Gomez-Baggethun.
What are the banks doing in managing climate risk? Empirical evidence from a position map. Pierluigi Toma, Valeria Stefanelli.
Decision tools for adaptation to climate change: Portfolio analysis of tea plantation investments in Rwanda. Filippo Fraschini, Alistair Hunt, Roberto Zoboli.
Is it just the distance? Consumer preference for geographical and social proximity of food production. Vüsal Hasanzade, Ossama Elshiewy, Waldemar Toporowski.
Resilience of Ethiopian Agropastoral Households in the Presence of Large-Scale Land Investments. Adugna Eneyew Bekele, Dusan Drabik, Liesbeth Dries, Wim Heijman.
Sufficiency without regret. Anne Baumgartner, Frank C. Krysiak, Florian Kuhlmey.
Is it a green or brown job? A Taxonomy of Sustainable Employment. Katharina Bohnenberger.
Taking climate change seriously: Time to credibly communicate on corporate climate performance. Mickaele Le Ravalec, Alexandre Rambaud, Véronique Blum.
Journal of Accounting Research
The Value of Mandatory Certification: A Real Effects Perspective. Xu Jiang, Baohua Xin, Yan Xiong.
Journal of Political Economy
Caring or Pretending to Care? Social Impact, Firms’ Objectives, and Welfare. Michele Fioretti.
Minimum Wage and Individual Worker Productivity: Evidence from a Large US Retailer. Decio Coviello, Erika Deserranno, Nicola Persico.
Sorting or Steering: The Effects of Housing Discrimination on Neighborhood Choice. Peter Christensen, Christopher Timmins.
Journal of the Accounting Research
- Analyzing the Cultural Contradictions of Authenticity: Theoretical and Managerial Insights from the Market Logic of Conscious Capitalism. Craig J. Thompson, Ankita Kumar.
- The Impact of Organic Specialist Store Entry on Category Performance at Incumbent Stores. Stijn Maesen, Lien Lamey.
Journal of Political Economy
- When Harry Fired Sally: The Double Standard in Punishing Misconduct. Mark Egan, Gregor, Amit Seru.
Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science
- Advancing customer diversity, equity, and inclusion: Measurement, stakeholder influence, and the role of marketing. Young Woong Park, Glenn B. Voss, Zannie Giraud Voss.
- Corporate lobbying and product recalls: an investigation in the U.S. medical device industry. Verdiana Giannetti, Raji Srinivasan.
Manufacturing and Service Operations Management
Curbing Emissions: Environmental Regulations and Product Offerings Across Markets. Zheng Han, Bin Hu, Milind Dawande.
Antidiscrimination Laws, Artificial Intelligence, and Gender Bias: A Case Study in Nonmortgage Fintech Lending. Stephanie Kelley, Anton Ovchinnikov, David R. Hardoon, Adrienne Heinrich.
A Classification of Carbon Abatement Opportunities of Global Firms. Christian C. Blanco.
The Impact of Schedule Consistency on Shift Worker Productivity: An Empirical Investigation. Guanyi Lu, Rex Yuxing Du, Xiaosong (David) Peng.
Invited Commentary—“How Support for Black Lives Matter Impacts Consumer Responses on Social Media”. Jacquelyn S. Thomas, Pradeep K. Chintagunta.
GMO and Non-GMO Labeling Effects: Evidence from a Quasi-Natural Experiment. Aaron Adalja, Jūra Liaukonytė, Emily Wang, Xinrong Zhu.
Frontiers: Spilling the Beans on Political Consumerism: Do Social Media Boycotts and Buycotts Translate to Real Sales Impact?. Jūra Liaukonytė, Anna Tuchman, Xinrong Zhu.
Frontiers: How Support for Black Lives Matter Impacts Consumer Responses on Social Media. Yang Wang, Marco Shaojun Qin, Xueming Luo, Yu (Eric) Kou.
Organizational Behaviour and Human Decision Processes
Heroes from above but not (always) from within? Gig workers’ reactions to the sudden public moralization of their work. Lindsey D. Cameron, Curtis K. Chan, Michel Anteby.
Production and Operations Management
Sustainable humanitarian operations: An integrated perspective. Charles J. Corbett, Alfonso J. Pedraza-Martinez, Luk N. Van Wassenhove.
Socially relevant and inclusive operations management. Nur Sunar, Jayashankar M. Swaminathan.
Promoting electric vehicles: Reducing charging inconvenience and price via station and consumer subsidies. Lingling Shi, Suresh P. Sethi, Metin Çakanyıldırım.
Algorithmic fairness in business analytics: Directions for research and practice. Maria De-Arteaga, Stefan Feuerriegel, Maytal Saar-Tsechansky.
Supply chain fairness. Li Chen, Hau L. Lee, Christopher S. Tang.
The effects of the news media on a firm’s voluntary product recalls. Vivek Astvansh, Yen-Yao Wang, Wei Shi
(Un)conditional collection policies on used products with strategic customers. Chang Dong, Yong Lei, Qian Liu.
Consumer trust in social responsibility communications: The role of supply chain visibility. Tim Kraft, León Valdés, Yanchong Zheng.
Quarterly Journal of Economics
- Increasing the Demand for Workers with a Criminal Record . Zoë Cullen, Will Dobbie, Mitchell Hoffman.
- Valuing the Global Mortality Consequences of Climate Change Accounting for Adaptation Costs and Benefits. Tamma Carleton, Amir Jina, Michael Delgado, Michael Greenstone, Trevor Houser and more.
Review of Accounting Studies
Climate-risk materiality and firm risk. Ella Mae Matsumura, Rachna Prakash, Sandra C. Vera-Muñoz.
Measuring weather exposure with annual reports. Venky Nagar, Jordan Schoenfeld.
Boardroom gender diversity reforms and institutional monitoring: global evidence. Larry Fauver, Mingyi Hung, Alvaro G. Taboada, Emily Jing Wang.
The role of the external auditor in managing environmental, social, and governance (ESG) reputation risk. Bright Asante-Appiah, Tamara A. Lambert.
Walking the walk? Bank ESG disclosures and home mortgage lending. Sudipta Basu, Justin Vitanza, Wei Wang, Xiaoyu Ross Zhu.
Do ESG funds make stakeholder-friendly investments?. Aneesh Raghunandan, Shiva Rajgopal.
Walk the talk: ESG mutual fund voting on shareholder proposals. Shane S. Dikolli, Mary Margaret Frank, Zhe Michael Guo, Luann J. Lynch.
Investors’ response to the #MeToo movement: does corporate culture matter?. Mary Brooke Billings, April Klein, Yanting Crystal Shi.
Green new hiring. Alper Darendeli, Kelvin K. F. Law, Michael Shen.
Meet, beat, and pollute. Jake Thomas, Wentao Yao, Frank Zhang, Wei Zhu.
Review of Finance
Do Responsible Investors Invest Responsibly? . Rajna Gibson Brandon, Simon Glossner, Philipp Krueger, Pedro Matos, Tom Steffen.
Review of Financial Studies
Do Investors Care about Impact?. Florian Heeb, Julian F Kölbel, Falko Paetzold, Stefan Zeisberger.
Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal
Constrained but not contained: How marginalized entrepreneurs overcome institutional bias and mobilize resources. Nastaran Simarasl, David Jiang, Sheela Pandey, Chad Navis.
Serving rural low-income markets through a social entrepreneurship approach: Venture creation and growth. Andrea M. Prado, Jeffrey A. Robinson, Zur Shapira.
Strategic Management Journal
- How do investors really react to the appointment of Black CEOs? A comment on Gligor et al. 2021. Seung-Hwan Jeong, Ann Mooney, Yangyang Zhang, Timothy J. Quigley.
- The effects of CEO activism: Partisan consumer behavior and its duration. Young Hou, Christopher W. Poliquin.
- Firm climate risk, risk management, and bank loan financing. Henry He Huang, Joseph Kerstein, Chong Wang, Feng (Harry) Wu.
See all monthly Table of Contents.