Leaders of business school sustainability research centres gathered for the biannual Sustainability Centres Community (SCC) workshop, November 2016, at INSEAD in Fontainebleau, France. Sixty leaders from five continents discussed shared challenges and opportunities related to centre management, teaching, research and outreach.
Join the Sustainability Centres Community to become part of the learning and action network.
- What I Wish I Knew before Launching a Sustainability Centre. Candid reflections from centre leaders. (Take the online survey and share your perspective.)
- How to Manage a Sustainability Centre. Lessons learned on effective centre administration.
- How Sustainability Centres Can Support Effective Teaching. Insights on teaching, inside and outside the classroom.
- How Sustainability Centres Can Support Research that Impacts Practice. Best practices for engaged scholarship.
Additional Resources Shared by Participants:
- Snowflake resource – from Sarah Ivory (University of Edinburgh), a way for students to map their priorities and impacts
- The Story behind the ESG Data – from Heather Lang (Sustainalytics), her PowerPoint
- SHIFT collaboration platform – from Jason Jay (MIT), a request for academic feedback
Workshop Agenda and Biosketches
About the Workshop
Workshop objectives included:
- Meet and build relationships with business sustainability centre directors from around the world
- Share advice for addressing common challenges in teaching, research, outreach and administration
- Scope opportunities for deep, ongoing collaboration
- Engage with managers tackling business sustainability challenges
The Sustainability Centres Workshop was made possible by support from the Network for Business Sustainability, the INSEAD Social Innovation Centre, Sorbonne Universites, the Harvard Business School Business and Environment Initiative, the Erb Institute at the University of Michigan, the Michael Lee-Chin Family Institute for Corporate Citizenship at Rotman School of Management, and the MIT Sloan Sustainability Initiative.
We appreciate the input of the workshop advisory committee:
- Joe Arvai, Faculty Director, Erb Institute, University of Michigan, United States
- Yury Blagov, Director, PricewaterhouseCoopers Center for Corporate Social Responsibility, Graduate School of Management, St. Petersburg University, Russia
- Francis Yang Chen, Western Business School, Southwestern University of Finance and Economics, China (invited)
- Frans Cornelis, Managing Partner, Comarco, France
- Jason Jay, Director, Sustainability Initiative, MIT Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States
- Rod Lohin, Executive Director, Michael Lee-Chin Family Institute for Corporate Citizenship, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, Canada
- Céline Louche, Director, Institute for Global Responsibility and Entrepreneurship, Audencia School of Management, France
- Gerardo Lozano, Director, SUSTENTUS center, EGADE Business School, Mexico
- Mark Meaney, Executive Director, Centre for Education on Social Responsibility, Leeds School of Business, University of Colorado, Boulder, United States
- Jennifer Nash, Director, Business and Environment Initiative, Harvard Business School, United States
- Subhasis Ray, Director, Centre for Resettlement, Rehabilitation and Corporate Social Responsibility, Xavier Institute of Management, India
- Laura Spence, Director, Centre for Research into Sustainability, School of Management, Royal Holloway University of London, Great Britain
About NBS and the Sustainability Centres Community
Hundreds of sustainability centres at business schools around the world are dedicated to helping create a more sustainable business model. These centres teach, conduct research, and work with industry to make social and environmental change. The Sustainability Centres Community (SCC), launched in 2012, is a response to the need for greater centre collaboration and for an online platform to facilitate collaboration. The Network for Business Sustainability (NBS) manages the SCC. If your centre has not already joined the Sustainability Centres Community, we invite you to join.
About the Social Innovation Centre
To support INSEAD's Mission and Visions, the INSEAD Social Innovation Centre is an inclusive platform for cross-disciplinary research, education, projects and engagement in the area of Business in Society. The Centre aims to develop innovative business models across Corporate Social Responsibility & Ethics, Humanitarian Research, Social Entrepreneurship and Sustainability.